Saturday, November 20, 2010

All Girl Road Trip

My sister, Carol, her friend, Ellen and I went on a short road trip this week.  We went to Ellen's family cabin at Lake Simpson in East Texas.  It's on a beautiful, private lake with lots of pine trees, oaks just changing color and lots of white-tail deer wandering all around.


We left on Thursday and arrived at the cabin to unload our stuff.  Then we hopped back in the car and headed to Longview and Ellis Pottery.  I had never been there, and let me tell you it was Christmas decor galore.  I was on overload!  We must have stayed there for hours!  I purchased this cute penguin to go with all my other Christmas penguins.  Isn't he adorable?
After that shopping extravaganza, we went back to the cabin, had dinner (a delish Stacked Enchilada Casserole thanks to Ellen), lit a fire in the fireplace, had some drinks, girl talk and a movie.

Friday we all got up and got ready for a trip to Jefferson, Texas.  Jefferson is a lovely little town with many gorgeous Victorian homes and a town square rife with antique and gift shops.  We prowled the aisles of many antique shops, then had lunch at Kat's Kornbread and Pie Shop.  They have the best sandwiches made on very dense "Kornbread".  I had one that was made with chili, cheese and onions, billed as "the only sandwich you have to eat with a fork".  It was simply devine! 

Then it was time for more looking and shopping.  At one of our last stops, Pat Ann's, I found a set of three wooden cardinals on pedestals.  They are painted red, distressed and all three are in different poses.  I will post of picture of these when I post my Christmas decor pictures.  I have the perfect place for them.

At last, we were tired and shopped out and we headed back to the cabin.  Carol and Ellen got in their jammies and we started a fire.  Around 7PM we had dinner of homemade Chicken Noodle Soup that Carol had made and brought and garlic toast fingers that Ellen made there at the cabin.  More girl talk, drinks and movies and it was off to dreamland.

This morning we got up, packed, cleaned things up and hit the road for home.  But first a stop back at Ellis Pottery.  You see, on Thursday Carol had purchased 2 awesome lava candles.  One gold and the other red.  Thursday night we plugged them in and oohed and ahhed at the coolness of them in the darkened living room.  Ellen and I had both decided we needed them too.  So, on our way back home, we stopped in and I got a red one, Ellen bought 2 gold ones and Carol got another gold one.  This picture doesn't do them justice, but just gives you an idea of what they look like.

By this time, Carol's little red HHR was packed to the gills.  If we had more room we would probably purchased more cool stuff.  Maybe next time, we'll take my bigger SUV.  Many, many thanks to Ellen for having us out to the cabin and to Carol for doing the driving and to BOTH of them for the fun!





No comments: