Thursday, January 13, 2011

Quilting - or something like it

Quilt\’k wilt\ n: 1: a bed coverlet of two layers of cloth filled with wool, cotton, or down and held in place by stitched designs 2: something that is quilted or resembles a quilt

A couple of years ago I purchased some “Charm Packs” of fabric from The Fat Quarter Shop online. The purpose was to use these 5”x 5” pieces of fabric for making doll clothes. I did use quite a few of them for that purpose, making some skirts and other garments for my Ellowyne doll and my BJD doll.

I have never “quilted” or even thought about making a quilt until last week. As I was rearranging and looking through all my totes of fabric and crafting stuff last week I ran across these same “Charm Packs”. As I sifted through the lovely squares of cotton fabric, I decided to try making a small quilt. I looked up instructions online and found instructions for making a “tufted” quilt. This seemed the easiest kind to make and the quickest - I’m not long on patience and when I start a project, I want to get finished as quickly as possible.

After measuring and counting squares I was short by about 20. I knew I’d have to have a backing fabric as well, to off I went to JoAnn’s where I also found a beautiful package of fat quarters. Now these didn’t go with my plan, but I was captivated by the colors and patterns, so I purchased them and the rest of the fabric and thread I’d need to make a quilt with them.

Here is the result.






It’s not perfect by any means, but it’s a start. This little lap quilt measures 34” x 44”. It was a good project to experiment on and learn on. So now I’m off to begin putting my original “Charm Pack” squares together for the next quilt!

Here are some samples of the fabric I’m using.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your quilt is so springy and great! I spy cherries!